Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wanted: Mile-Eating Songs

My run this morning was great. Over 4 miles in record time, including a new personal best for the mile. It was a run where everything just came together. Great weather, scenery, music, and energy.

Instead of running my usual loop around my neighborhood I went up to campus. Running past the George Bush Presidential Library, Kyle Field, and Sully (basically past all the nice campus spots they show on tv when the Ags play football) was beautiful. Watching the students walk to class and realizing I didn't have to be in the office at 8 made the run even better.

I think the biggest factor this morning though was the music. I finally took the three minutes necessary to make a custom play list for my iPod. I've been running by just listening to an entire album at a time, or to a running podcast. While I like AC/DC probably more than I should, they don't maintain the right energy level across an album. My running podcasts are great, but they use free music and therefore don't have any of the great songs I've gotten pumped up to throughout high school and college. I threw together a play list on Monday night and realized that, 1) I don't have a lot of good workout music, and 2) the stuff I do have is from a small handful of groups. I'll be tired of this play list by next week. Also, the list is dominated by "power songs" that get me pumped up and running faster. I need a kick in the butt several times during a run, but I also need a couple of steady upbeat songs that will let me cover some ground before the next kick comes along.

This is where I need your help. What are some of the great songs I'm missing? The complete set of what I'm missing is enormous, so just your top five would be great. My list from the run this morning is below. Songs with an asterisk are my butt kicking songs.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Comments on my lame musical tastes will be less well received.

AC/DC - Hells Bells*
Guns 'n' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle*
Zombie Nation - KernKraft 400
AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
Guns 'n' Roses - Sweet Child o' Mine
John Cougar Mellancamp - Hurt So Good
AC/DC - Back in Black*
John Cougar Mellancamp - Authority Song
Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train*
Rush - Tom Sawyer
Beastie Boys - Sabotage

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

You've got some great songs in there! I'm no runner, but it sounds like you need some Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion maybe? How about some Cheap Trick - I Want You to Want Me? Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash? And definitely some Def Leppard Pyromania!

Some others I like:

Hard to Handle by the Black Crowes
Runaway by Bon Jovi
Rebel Yell by Billy Idol
Holiday by Green Day
Pretty Vegas by INXS
Harder to Breathe by Maroon 5
Come Sail Away by Styx (not a high-energy song, but a good one!)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How were your times?

One's that I enjoy (that I listen to before rugby)... there's more but you gotta stop somewhere

Since we last spoke - RJD2
Spitfire - The Prodigy
Hey Man, Nice Shot - Filter
Breathe - The Prodigy

4:09 PM  
Blogger Timmie Smith said...

Thanks for the suggesstions, Sis. Those are definately some good ones to add to the list, though Come Sail Away may be a bit too laid back. I'll save that for the cool down.

Sooshie, the times are finally fast enough that I can say that I couldn't walk faster than that in high school. 4.29 miles in 38:46 for an average pace of 9:02. The fastest mile was 8:39. Nowhere near winning my age group in a race, but a big improvement for me over the 10 minute miles I started with last year.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home