Sunday, April 01, 2007

I'm not dead yet -- 4 more weeks of training to go

No, I haven't found myself under the wheels of a bus on campus. My iPod continues to get regular use, but I have this crazy habit of looking around that lets me avoid cars, cyclists, and oblivious walkers around campus.

I am in love with my nano. I've purchased the Nike+iPod Sport kit. After velcroing the sensor to my shoe -- because I'm not about to pay what Nike thinks I should for a pair of shoes with a conveniently shaped hole in them -- this gadget allows me to track my progress on runs. It tracks my distance, time, pace, and calories burned. Nothing revolutionary with that, but the ease of using it and the pretty pictures it generates make it great. It is in short a neat little piece of technology that make the nerd in me want to go out and run, and motivation to run is something I am always looking for.

I'm training for my second Tri-O de Mayo Triathlon. Last year I participated in a program in the A&M Rec Sports department. This year I'm back for more of that as well, and am getting my money's worth. The coaches this year are both experienced triathletes and have each put together workouts over the past month that have earned the the title of "Evil Coach of the Day". For example, last year the longest bike ride I did was to ride the race course two weeks before the race. This year the cycling/running coach, a.k.a. Most Evil Coach, has put together a 17 mile bike ride on Sunday afternoons since week 1. They haven't killed me yet, though there have been a couple of workouts that made me wish I was dead. With less than a month to go I'm in a good position to achieve my goal of completing the race in 1:25:00... a 20% improvement over last year's time if I pull it off.

Time to refill the water jug and enjoy the cool before today's ride starts.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Go Tim Smith!!!! You da man!!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Kate :) said...

Kick its ass Tim Smith! Maybe I should get one of those Nike iPod things. I need more motivation to run. :D Miss ya.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home