Sunday, January 21, 2007

Let the annoying television ads begin!

Hillary Clinton has formed her presidential exploratory committee. That brings the number of candidates whose names I know off the top of my head to two -- let the presidential politics begin.

I don't know much about Barack Obama, but what I have seen and heard from him I like. Senator Clinton isn't so fortunate. Even the announcement on her website rubs me the wrong way.

"The stakes will be high when America chooses a new president in 2008.

As a senator, I will spend two years doing everything in my power to limit the damage George W. Bush can do. But only a new president will be able to undo Bush's mistakes and restore our hope and optimism.

Only a new president can renew the promise of America -- the idea that if you work hard you can count on the health care, education, and retirement security that you need to raise your family. These are the basic values of America that are under attack from this administration every day.

And only a new president can regain America's position as a respected leader in the world.



...

This is a big election with some very big questions. How do we bring the war in Iraq to the right end? How can we make sure every American has access to adequate health care? How will we ensure our children inherit a clean environment and energy independence? How can we reduce the deficits that threaten Social Security and Medicare?"

Several points in the statement bother me.


  • Senator Clinton was elected to office in the same election as President Bush. Why wait until the final two years of the eight years you'll have been in Congress to fight the guy?

  • Bring the war in Iraq to the right end? Why not take a stand before conducting polls and say what you think that end is? Even after her most recent trip to Iraq Senator Clinton didn't make any sort of firm statement.

  • Finally, in 2008 we will have a new president regardless of who wins the election. Several times in the statement the phrase "only a new president" is used. I'd feel a lot better about Senator Clinton if her statement didn't make it sound like she has no idea that the 22nd amendment exists. I know it is written to make her look like she is running against all that W is about, but please wait until after the primaries to drop the level of the campaigns to below a fourth grade level. You're insulting the educational system you're proposing to save -- possibly intentionally -- with statements like these.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I shudder at the thought of Hilary as President....

12:54 AM  
Blogger Editor in Chief said...

I not only think she could win, I don't think she would be that bad. She's annoying, that's for sure. But, I didn't vote for her for Senator.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Roxi Bo said...

I'm not necessarily for or against her, I think I have completely given up on anyone qualified for a high political job actually making it in the running... That being said, I like how suddenly she talks like a southerner, a normal southern gal, an interesting and obnoxious affectation she's adapted after W.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home