Wednesday, February 09, 2005

News from the nerd world

Two posts in one day. The only thing that could cause me to be so active is good news in the nerd world that probably interests no one reading this, but I'll share anyway.

CNN is reporting the HP CEO Carly Fiorina has been forced out by the board and the search for a new CEO will begin immediately. I have a soft spot for HP since I co-oped there as an undergraduate. Since Carly became the CEO the decisions that have been made have been driving the company into the ground. I guess shareholders agree with me since HP stocks were up some 10% in trading this morning.

I know a few former Compaq employees, Compaq was bought by HP, that will also be happy to hear the news.

One thing I don't understand in the article though is the talk of breaking HP up into two or three separate companies. HP split its medical and engineering hardware division off into Agilent Technologies back in the late 90's. If HP splits its printer business off into a separate company I don't know what they'll have to profit from. I'll leave such speculation and rationalization to the analysts that are paid to figure these things out.

Good luck to HP in their chance at a new start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home