Monday, February 14, 2005

DO NOT SPEAK TO THE NERD

I need a sign I can hang on my office door with these words. I could use it in the mornings until I have drank enough DrPepper and gotten my BCC (blood caffeine content) to an acceptable level, say 0.3. Usually I don't need the sign because I'm the first in the office and able to shotgun DrPeppers in silence to get my fix. However, this morning I get to the office to find two coworkers in their office waiting to pounce on me.

The first wanted to discuss the underlying philosophy of the code I'm working on and why I hadn't specialized a class with a particular type (if you don't understand that last bit, trust me, you really don't want to). Half an hour of this when I have had enough to drink is too much, but before I've gotten my fix it is really like having a death wish. I managed to not snap until the last three minutes, and thankfully by then we had reached an understanding.

The second had an implementation question. Fair enough, we're working together on something and I've been working on the code longer so I should be able to answer the question without problem. However, in the haze I was in from the lack of stimulants in my bloodstream and still reeling from having to think in the first conversation it took me a little while to come up with a solution and I wasn't as polite as I should have been.

I can't just shut my door because I had to walk by their office to get into mine so I was already spotted. I really do need the sign or some other indicator to let folks know they are putting themselves in harm's way by approaching me at this time. It would save them injury, and probably get me a discount on my personal liability insurance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home