Sunday, December 03, 2006

An Unwanted Plunge

Tonight my wonderful daughter threw my cellphone in the toilet. She has always played with our phones and never done any damage to them. Once she was able to open the phone and hop on the web in a few seconds (I still don't know the key sequence she used to do that) I kept it locked and thought it was safe for her to use. She's so cute when she flips it open and says, "Hello." How could I not let her play with it?

I handed her the phone tonight and told her, "now go play." so I could catch up on my web surfing for the weekend. A few minutes later I heard a splash from the bathroom and knew I was in trouble.

As I ripped the battery out everything appeared to be ok. The phone hadn't shorted out yet. Here's hoping that an overnight drying and a little Lysol will save the phone.

These are the moments when you realize just how much you love your children. Anyone else that dropped my phone in a toilet on purpose would have been shot.

Update: The phone survived the bath.

P.S. Bubba's Sis, the toothbrushes are out of Ana's unattended reach. When she has grabbed a toothbrush and tossed it in the potty (which has happened a couple of times already) she has been supervised and a new toothbrush put in its place. It'll be another 6 months to a year before she's good enough at climbing and I have to worry about having a potty mouth in more ways than one.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wes Raine said...

My cell phone has been underwater twice now and it still works. In fact, it seems to work better than when it was brand new! Here's to hoping that the drying out process is a success!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Kinda makes you wonder what else has been in your toilet that you don't even know about...like your toothbrush maybe...

8:45 PM  
Blogger Editor in Chief said...

Our friends have an old "fake" phone for little one to play with.

Our child will have two tin cans and a string for his phone, and he'll like it!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Timmie Smith said...

e two tins cans to work you need two kids, Bubba... unless you're going to be the operator on the other end connecting calls.

When I get a new phone next year through my plan Ana will definately get the old one.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Kate :) said...

did the phone survive? i have an old one she could play with. and i know uncle mike has one he's not using. his is giant and blue and coated in rubber. no harm can come to it. none!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home