Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Children of nerds don't stand a chance

Ana has reached an important nerd milestone -- she now owns her first piece of home electronics. I didn't own my first electronic gadget (a TI computer I got for Christmas) until I was 6. Dad is a pretty big nerd, but mom's lack of nerdiness delayed me a little bit.

Ana was just 4 days past 17 months when I took her to Best Buy this weekend to pickup her very own DVD player. Her favorite thing to do in the living room is to open up DVD cases and then swap out the discs in the player. If we let her she'd stand next to the tv and swap out discs all day -- she doesn't really care about watching the shows. The disk switching was always something that made me cringe since the DVD player was part of a small home theater system that let us have surround sound for movies. If the tray on the DVD player were to break the system would be useless, and Ana hasn't quite gotten the hang of doing something "gently".

Since Ana doesn't approve of my movies the surround sound wasn't getting much use, so I packed up the player and put the little $30 DVD player that could in its place. It is working great and Ana approves of the switch. She's got new remote to play with and doesn't have to listen to me say, "be careful!" every time she switches shows... what's not to love!

The poor girl is going to be a nerd before she hits elementary school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home