Sunday, July 23, 2006

Clerks 2 -- Too tame for NC-17

I've been waiting for the release f Clerks 2 since I read about it earlier this year. I'm not a big enough Kevin Smith fan to have known it was in the works, but I've enjoyed all of his films. I read a couple of stories, including this one, where the director seemed to be determined to release his movie unrated to get everthing in it he wanted. "In terms of the edginess of the humor, I don't think we've ever gone this far before," he says in the USA Today piece.

Well, someone changed his mind. Clerks 2 came out with a R rating and I must say that it is one of the milder R rated shows I've seen. After being shocked by the foul-language in the original Clerks back in 1995 I had high (or low depending on your view) expectations of what Smith's cast of great characters would do. They do quite a bit, but if you're looking for the gross-out swearfest movie of the summer this isn't it. I give it two thumbs up.

My past two trips to the theater haven't been without disappointment though. Wes wrote some time ago -- so long ago I can't find the exact story to link to it -- about a lame Hoolywood project starring Samuel L. Jackson named "Snakes on a Plane". I'm sorry to say that this project is going to be release in early august and it is actually being promoted. I've been subjected to the trailer twice now and I spotted a cardboard cutout display in the theater today. That makes me sad. I guess the high school kids need a scary movie with no plot to go see. Best lame quote from the trailer, "You remember all those security scenarios we ran? Well, I'm smack in the middle of one we didn't think of."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you dare say anything bad about "Snakes on a Plane" or I'll drive my happy ass up there from Albuqerque and give you a "Snake in your Face".

:)

Best name for a movie ever! Unless of course I get to release my pet project "Naked women laying on my yard while I drink a beer".

7:10 PM  
Blogger Wes Raine said...

Tim, by all accounts, Snakes On A Plane will be the biggest movie of the summer. It is getting unbeliveable buzz all over the internet...not because it is a good movie, but because it will be a very, very bad movie. New scences have been shot in order to make it an R-rated movie rather than a PG-13. Mostly they just wanted to have Sam Jackson say "Snakes on a motherf***ing plane!" Get ready for it. It's going to be big.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Timmie Smith said...

*sigh*

I fear you're right, Wes. I will not be seeing it though, no matter how big it is. As for the rating, "Snakes on a plane, Mr. Falcon!" would be a perfect fit for this already bad movie. They could even have a character named Mr. Falcon so it actually made sense.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home