Thursday, May 18, 2006

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

I've made it to Champaign, IL after my first trip via Amtrak. The train ride from Chicago to Champaign was fun, but I really wouldn't want to be one of the folks that will ride the train all night and the better part of tomorrow to get to New Orleans.

The trip as a whole was pretty routine with a brief period of sprinting in the middle after the flight from Houston was delayed over an hour. We made it to Chicago about 50 minutes late which gave me just enough time to grab my 100+ pounds of luggage, run to the L and jam the bags through the turnstyles just in time to catch a train downtown. I made it downtown and into Union Station just in time to get the bags on the train and board. The lesson here: what spare time you give yourself in your travel schedule to walk normally and catch trains with the airlines will take away.

Tomorrow is going to be a fun-filled day of picking up paperwork from Intel to fill out over the weekend so I can cut out on the HR lecture early Monday and then camping outside my soon to be apartment so I can get my bike from the FedEx man.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's in Champaign?

11:54 PM  
Blogger Timmie Smith said...

Intel's KAI Software Lab is in Champaign. When Intel bought KAI -- a company that had one of the best C++ compilers on the market back in 2000 -- they kept the site running. I'll be working on a new software product they're developing to support multi-core processors that is similar to my research

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home