Friday, May 26, 2006

Living large in the corner office

I've survived my first week of work in Illinois. I think the lab in Champaign is a great place to work. Everyone in my group is smart and nice. Their general attitude has been, "you're working on a PhD. you know the problem. Here's the source code. Go and have at it and let us know if you have any questions or need something." I've done my best to hit the ground running with the project and get something useful accomplished.

The weather has turned much warmer in the past two days. We've been in the mid 80's with around 60% humidity, so I certainly am not missing the typical Texas summer weather, I'm living through it instead.

My office is certainly a nice place to be. I somehow managed to wind up in a corner office with two walls of huge windows. It is great! I do have an officemate -- interior offices are typically just for one person -- but that doesn't bother me at all. My officemate is a rowdy old sysadmin, and he rocks! He'll swear out loud and yell at the machines. I love it. It reminds me of my first co-op term at HP when I was also officemates with a rowdy old sysadmin. That guy taught me about cigars... I wonder what vices BIll can teach me about this summer.

So Intel is a great place to be right now. I'm really missing the family, but I think we're all going to survive. Ana slept through the night -- 10pm to 7am -- for the first time last night! Everyone keep their fingers crossed that this is a permanent thing and not just another two week phase.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home