Saturday, November 24, 2007

A-hole of the day

I'm declaring myself the a-hole of the day. I don't feel too bad about it. If I hadn't acted then the guy I inconvenienced would have been the a-hole of the day, and a much bigger one.

After 3 and a half days of sitting at home the kids were about to go through the walls instead of bouncing off of them. Lidia and I aren't nearly as entertaining as 7 infants, much less a room filled with 20+ two year olds, and no daycare means Ana and Gene are bored to tears. When it came time to go grocery shop everyone loaded up in spite of the nasty cold rain.

I pulled into the grocery store parking lot I saw that there was one spot for shoppers with kids open. This is one perk of being a parent that I love, and now that Southwest has followed the other carriers and no longer allows parents with small children to board first it's the only immediate perk I have left. Sure, I'll hopefully see them graduate from high school and college, get married and have kids of their own, but for the next 4 years or so I have random precious moments and good parking spaces to look forward to.

As I turned on to the aisle with the open spot a car went cruising into my spot. I didn't see any car seats and stopped. Sure enough, two healthy, fit, single guys climb out of the car. I wasn't going to take it. I beat on the window and gave the driver my best G-rated (kids in the car) gesture to express my displeasure. He was shocked back to decency and hopped in and gave me the space. I made sure to say thanks as he walked by as I was helping Lidia get Gene out of the car.

So I saved this poor guy with no umbrella from being a parking spot stealing jerk, but I did make him walk in the cold drizzle with no umbrella. I'm the a-hole of the day, but I'm ok with it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Tim Smith, I was expecting a much jucier story than this! Like maybe you jumped out of your car and punched the guy. Or at least tore him a new one. Just a G-rated gesture and he complied? No, you are not an A-hole. I still think that prize goes to him for whipping in there in the first place. No matter that he apologized. He shouldn't have done it.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home